On behalf of the Clark County School District, I would like to announce that the PSAT 8/9 will be administered to all 8th grade students at Cram Middle School on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 . In alignment with District Focus: 2024 goals, the test will be offered to students free of charge. Results from this test, along with middle school recommendations, may be used for proper 9th grade course placement.
The PSAT 8/9 is the first test in the SAT Suite of Assessments offered by the College Board. Tightly aligned with both the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT, the PSAT 8/9 establishes a baseline for college and career readiness as students begin to transition to high school. The PSAT 8/9 will support all students with early feedback on the skills and knowledge that matter most for college and career success. This test is a pressure-free way for students to start exploring their path to college and a future career.
Students will have an early opportunity to:
- Recognize strengths. A personalized online PSAT 8/9 score report will include detailed information about your child’s strengths and areas for growth. It helps students lean into areas they’re good at and identify places where they need to improve to be ready for college.
- Explore future careers. Students can explore college majors and careers that align with their personal interests with Roadmap to Careers, a unique online tool created by Roadtrip Nation and the College Board. The tool connects students to potential careers based on the things they love, showing where they can lead.
- Choose high school courses. Knowing where they excel and what skills they should work on can help them choose other 9th- and 10th- grade classes. In addition, student score reports will suggest AP® courses that are a great match for them. AP can give your child an edge in the admission process and allows them to earn college credit while in high school, which could save time and money in college.
- Access online resources. Every student who takes the PSAT 8/9 is given access to multiple online resources that provide FREE personalized SAT preparation, as well as college and career planning tools. These student resources include: 1) a PSAT 8/9 score report that includes detailed answer explanations, and 2) a personalized study plan when the student links his/her PSAT 8/9 results to the Khan Academy site.
Educators will have an early opportunity to:
- Measure and follow student performance.
- Ensure students are on target to achieve college and career readiness.
- Pinpoint areas for development.
- Identify students who have the potential to be successful in Advanced Placement courses.
Parents and guardians, we appreciate your support of this assessment as your student continues on their journey through middle school, high school and beyond. To learn more about the PSAT 8/9, we invite parents and students to visit: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9.